The PTT Level 3 Certificate in Unified Communications online study programme is aimed at technicians who will be working on a telecommunications NGN. As these core networks employ the same techniques and technologies as the Internet, modern wide area networks and local area networks, the programme is also suitable for those responsible for fault finding on, and the general maintenance of, such networks. This study programme leads to a qualification without the need to attend a training centre or college.
Study Aim: To describe the fundamental principles, protocols, components, applications, testing, and security aspects of unified communications systems.
Topics covered: The study programme begins by introducing the fundamentals of analogue and digital transmission, data communications and the different types of cabling and connectivity. Learners continue with a study of LANs and WANs including diagnostic tests. The programme concludes by ensuring the learner appreciates the services a unified communications system provides and understands how such a system meets the requirements of different types of traffic and ensures data and system security.
Apprenticeship knowledge support: This online study programme is an ideal way of delivering the "Technical Knowledge and Understanding" component of the Information Communications Technician (Level 3) apprenticeship standard.
Benefits for apprenticeship providers and employers >>
For more information about this programme, visit www.telecomsqualification.com
What you need before beginning this programme: Although not obligatory, the study of Physics secondary (high) school level will aid your understanding of the principles covered in the study programme.
What you are provided with to obtain your Level 3 Certificate:
1. Online study guide which summaries the topics covered by each course and gives guidance about studying the courses and attempting the assessments.
2. Licence to access twelve courses online for a period of 12 months. Once a course has been studied it can be revisited at any time for revision and reference during the 12 month licence period. Summaries of the topics covered by a course can be printed out for personal reference.
3. Online assessments: The award of a certificate by NCFE depends on the successful completion of online multiple-choice and short answer questions as well as a number of essays.
4. Online access to your tutor who will respond to a question within two working days.
5. Your personal online study area allows you to monitor your progress through the study programme, send messages to your tutor and access the study guide and courses.
What you achieve: After successful completion of the study programme and the associated assessments and essays, participants are awarded a certificate of achievement by NCFE.
NCFE is an awarding organisation recognised by the qualification regulators for England (Ofqual), Wales (Qualifications Wales) and Northern Ireland (CCEA Regulation). This is an unregulated qualification and is not a nationally recognised qualification.
Course access requirements
This course is designed to run on a desktop computer or laptop with Internet access. Please refer to the "Delivery platform requirements" section on this page for further information.
Course access requirements
This course is designed to run on on a tablet through the learntelecoms App which is available for Apple® iPad® and for Android™. Please refer to the "Delivery platform requirements" section on this page for further information.