PTT has developed a number of online courses that together provide an ideal study programme for those joining the telecommunications industry in a technical role. The PTT Level 3 Award in Principles of Telecommunications programme also forms a solid foundation for more advanced telecoms studies. This study programme leads to a qualification without the need to attend a training centre or college.
Study Aim: To explore the fundamental principles, components, operation and facilities of modern telecommunications systems.
Topics covered: The study programme begins by introducing the fundamental principles of telecoms technology and then provides an overview of the facilities and capabilities of modern telecommunications systems. The topics you then study in this programme depends on your chosen specialisation. You can choose from one of three:
1. Data communications
3. Mobile communications
For more information about this programme, visit www.telecomsqualification.com
What you achieve: After successful completion of the study programme and the associated examinations, participants are awarded a certificate of achievement by NCFE.
NCFE is recognised as an Awarding Organisation by the qualification regulators for England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
What you need before beginning this programme: Although not obligatory, the study of Physics secondary (high) school level will aid your understanding of the principles covered in the study programme.
What you are provided with to obtain your Award:
1. Online study guide which summaries the topics covered by each course and gives guidance about studying the courses and attempting the assessments.
2. Licence to access nine courses online for a period of 12 months. Once a course has been studied it can be revisited at any time for revision and reference during the 12 month licence period. Summaries of the topics covered by a course can be printed out for personal reference.
3. Online assessments: The award of a certificate by NCFE depends on the successful completion of two online multiple-choice examinations.
4. Online access to your tutor who will respond to a question within two working days.
5. Your personal online study area allows you to monitor your progress through the study programme, send messages to your tutor and access the study guide and courses.
Course access requirements
This course is designed to run on a desktop computer or laptop with Internet access. Please refer to the "Delivery platform requirements" section on this page for further information.
Course access requirements
This course is designed to run on on a tablet through the learntelecoms App which is available for Apple® iPad® and for Android™. Please refer to the "Delivery platform requirements" section on this page for further information.